Friday, September 26, 2014

26 Weeks


Soo, this post is like a week late.  It was written last week and the picture was taken
just a few days late.  I'm just now getting around to actually posting it.  Oops!

We had our last “Preparing for Childbirth” class last Tuesday.  It was on Newborn Care and we learned how to change a diaper (see Henry practicing below) and swaddle a baby!


We also talked about what to look for in a good pediatrician, vaccinations, and when to call a doctor once you go home.  We also talked quit a bit about baby poop!  It was a super informative class and we really wish it was a little longer.  There's just so much to learn about newborn babies, it's impossible to fit it all into a 2.5 hour class.  Nurse Rosemary was super sweet and even gave everybody in the class her personal email address just in case we had questions after the class.

We also had appointments with both Dr. Weiss (MFM) and Dr. Parnell (OB) this week.

Dr. Weiss did a growth scan of the babies to check their sizes against both where they should be at this stage and against each other to make sure they’re growing at the same rate.  Remember that with monochorionic/diamniotic twins (i.e. one placenta/two sac twins), there’s a risk of Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome.  This is the main reason why I’m seeing Dr. Weiss every two weeks – so he can make sure each little one is getting adequate blood supply from the placenta.  Anywho, he measured the girls again and we have two above-average weighing girls!  He also checked my cervix and reassured us that despite our trip toL&D last weekend and the pressure I was feeling the week before, the girls are staying put for now.  There’s been no change since my last cervix check four weeks ago which is a really good sign that my body is holding onto these two.  If anybody is wondering, my cervix is measuring 5cm in length.  Dr. Weiss said 2.5cm is considered short and 1.5cm is a concern.  So he’s not concerned in the least bit right now.  Yippee!

Dr. Parnell read over Dr. Weiss’ notes and even though Dr. Weiss isn’t super concerned about me going into preterm labor because of my cervix, Dr. Parnell is still a little concerned given that I was starting to have minor contractions last weekend.  So he wants me to continue taking the medication he prescribed me.  We listened to the girls’ heartbeats with Dr. Parnell.  And then we talked a little bit about my chances of having a c-section versus a natural birth. 

And now, our weekly update (as told by the girls)…

Sleep: I’ve been sleeping a little better this week.  I’ve got a couple pillows that are propping me up just a little bit and a rolled up blanket tucked under my feet.  These help me get comfortable a little faster and stay comfortable a little longer.  Don’t be fooled though – I’m still waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

Cravings: Caramel Apple Spice from Starbucks!  In fact, I stopped to grab one the day I got the results from my glucose test back (which I passed, woohoo!).  In hindsight though, that was a terrible idea because it has so much sugar that it gave me a stomach ache. :(  That didn't stop me from stopping to get one the next day though.  That time around, I only got a tall (which has slightly less than a million pounds of sugar) instead of a grande like the day before.  Fun fact: A Caramel Apple Spice is my favorite drink from Starbucks; and while you can get them year round, I usually only get them during the fall/winter.  (Let’s set aside the fact that it’s still 90+ degrees in Dallas.)  They’re my “Pumpkin Spice Lattes” since I don’t really like Pumpkin Spice Lattes.  Once those hit the streets though, that’s my green light to indulge in Caramel Apple Spices. :D

Symptoms: My feet are officially swollen, like all the time.  They used to just swell if I didn't drink enough water or did too much standing/walking or if it was really hot outside.  But now, they’re in a permanent state of huge.

How we’re growing: We’re growing big and strong and like to kick mom, a lot!  We’re both about 14” long and at mom’s appointment this week, Dr. Weiss said Baby A weighs about 1.56 pounds while Baby B weighs about 1.75 pounds.  You said you wanted us to be big and healthy mom – we’re both above average right now!  We’re able to hear a lot clearer now too – we can easily recognize our mom and dad’s voices… and Annie and Lilly’s barks!  We’re also continuing to develop our lungs by inhaling small amounts of fluid.  We’re practicing for our first big gulps of air (and cries!) when we’re born. :)

Best moment of the week: Getting to see our baby girls in an ultrasound and finding out that they’re growing nice and healthy – both our babies are measuring slightly above average for a singleton fetus at 25 weeks!  Average for this gestational age is 1.46 pounds.  Ours are weighing 1.56 and 1.75 pounds – big girls!  Another “best moment” was finding out that I passed my glucose test, which means I do not have gestational diabetes.  That was a super huge concern of mine since pre-pregnancy tests revealed I was at a higher risk for developing diabetes AND the risk of developing gestational diabetes goes way up with multiples.  I was super relieved when I got the call that I had passed.  Despite the fact that I've always felt like I could “lose a little more weight” or “tone up this and that area”, my body has never failed me medically or functionally (except for that year and a half or so where my cycles were all messed up/nonexistent – but even then, everything eventually worked out).  I am so thankful for my health and am in constant awe of what the body (especially the female body!) can do, even when it isn't always treated nicely.  Thank you body, for being amazing and handling all of the stresses I've placed on you!  Let it be known that I’d still like to lose a little more weight and tone up a bit after these babies are born.  But I also like to eat candy and drink bad-for-you drinks from Starbucks, so we’ll see how that goes.

What Mom & Dad are looking forward to this coming week: Resting!  It was so much fun spending time with family and friends in El Paso, but traveling is exhausting!

We are super thankful for everybody who attended our baby showers in El Paso, and for our amazing moms for putting them together.  Once again, we are just so overwhelmed by all of the love and support we have.  It truly is amazing how much joy and excitement these two little ones bring to everybody, and they haven’t even been born yet.  Unfortunately, this was our last trip to El Paso (or anywhere) for a while, so we really tried to soak in every moment spent with everybody.  We’re excited though that the next time we visit El Paso, we’ll have our sweet babies in tow for everybody to meet!  Until then we’re just going to stay put and start preparing their nursery for their big arrival!

1 comment:

  1. See you soon my precious TWINKIES . . . Grammy loves you to the moon and back, over and over.

    ReplyDelete