We've made it to the half way point, woop woop! Since 37 weeks is considered full term for a
twin pregnancy, my halfway marker comes a whole week earlier than if there was
just one baby. Although, my doctor is
still holding onto the idea that I’ll make it all the way to 40 weeks. I know he’s been doing this for a long time, and he’s one of the best
doctors around, but seriously – has he seen me and the rate that these babies
are growing at? For now, the goal is to
make it to 36 weeks; then we’ll talk.
And now, our
weekly update (as told by the twins)…
Sleep: Oh
sleep? Mom still needs that? We’d rather sit on her nerves and make her
back ache (a lot!). Get used to it momma
– we’re only going to get bigger!
Cravings:
More peanut butter! I may or may not
have eaten it by the spoonful a couple of times this week. #dontjudgeme
I've also been craving milk in the middle of the night –
usually when I wake up to make my nightly bathroom run. I've seriously contemplated buying a mini
fridge and placing it in our bathroom just so I don’t have to walk all the way to the kitchen at 3:00am. Henry pointed out how crazy that was given
that our apartment is only 1,100 square feet. He clearly doesn't understand my struggle. ;)
Symptoms:
Holy swelling batman! I knew I’d swell
at some point – I always hear stories about so-and-so swelling so bad, she couldn't wear shoes. What I didn't know
was that I would start swelling so early!
I was the lady who couldn't wear shoes for about a day or two earlier in the week. And my wedding ring may or may
not have gotten stuck a couple of times. I've just been trying to flex my feet/toes and hands/fingers when they
start feeling tight and drinking loads of ice water. I’m hoping that some of the swelling is
attributed to the summer heat and will taper off a bit once the temps start to
drop a little. Can you tell this girl is
ready for the fall? ;) I ordered myself
this cute ring
holder necklace from Etsy so I can still wear my wedding ring even with
swollen fingers.
How we’re growing:
From head to bottom, we’re about 6” long and weigh 8.5 ounces, each! Together, we’re a whole foot long and weigh
just over one pound! This week, our
brains are going through a lot of sensory development, designating specialized
areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch! Our arms and legs are all in the right
proportions to each other and to the rest of our tiny little bodies. From here on out, everything will continue to
grow together until we’re nice and strong and ready to make our big
debuts!
Best moment of the
week: Feeling the babies move a lot more! Their kicks are getting stronger and more
noticeable. And I think I can tell when
they’re flipping/turning too – it’s the same kind of feeling you get when you’re
on a roller coaster and the pit of your stomach drops. I’m not sure what that feeling is caused by;
I just envision them doing somersaults in my belly. :)
What Mom & Dad
are looking forward to this coming week: Going to Lubbock for Henry’s
graduation ceremony from Texas Tech University!
I am so super proud of him for accomplishing this goal he set for
himself. I never had any doubt that he’d
get there. It’s just exciting that it’s
finally here! I’m excited to see him
walk across the stage – more excited than I think he is to actually walk,
ha! He did make my heart melt a little
when he said he’s glad that the babies will (sort of) be able to see him
graduate. *tear*
For the first time during this pregnancy, I had a moment of oh my gosh, this is really happening, I
don’t know if I can do this, what if something is wrong with one or both of the
babies, what if I haven’t done everything in my power to help them grow and develop
appropriately during the first trimester, what if the aches and pains I’m
feeling aren't normal… and the list of worries went on and on. They literally consumed my thoughts for an
entire day, which means I didn't get much stuff done at work that day, which
made me feel even worse. One of the
things I've always loved sharing with Henry is a good conversation. He isn't always one to talk a whole lot – I've got that role covered in this relationship – but when he knows I need him
to talk through something with me, he’s pretty good at it. He knew I wasn't feeling all that great this
particular day and was able to pry my feelings out of me. I told him about how I was worried I hadn't done enough up to this point for the babies.
And about how I’m nervous for our upcoming Level 2 ultrasound. And how the aches and pains I've been feeling
lately are like none I've ever felt before.
He talked me through each fear, reminding me that every urine and blood
test I've taken has come back normal (i.e. good signs of nutrition). And the two ultrasounds we've had show
nothing but positive growth/development.
And how every appointment we've had, we've seen and/or heard two strong
heartbeats. He told me how proud he was
because I gave up coffee cold turkey (which he recognizes is difficult for a
coffee addict like me) the day we found out I was pregnant; and how I've limited
myself to only one serving of caffeine (usually tea or chocolate) 2-3 times per
week since starting my second trimester (before that, it was zero caffeine). He reassured me that I have been doing well
in my eating and trying to get as much of a balance as I can. We talked through everything I was feeling
(over a shared basket of boneless buffalo wings and fries – don’t judge
me! I ate well the rest of the day and
Wing Stop has 60 cent wings on Mondays!) and he ended with: “Above all else,
remember that God is in control. He
always has been, from the very beginning.
Whatever the outcome of future tests and ultrasounds are, He is still going to be there and we are still going to love our babies. So relax, don’t stress, and know that He is
with us.” Gah! Seriously guys, could I have married a more
amazing man?! And just like that, all of
my worries were lifted and I felt much better.
I’m sure I’ll have more days of worry and fear, and I’m sure
Henry will be there to help talk me through those days too. But for now, I’m going to hold on tight to
the words he shared with me: “Remember that God is in control.” And will continue to work on turning all of
my worries over to Him.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
–Matthew 11:28-30
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
–Matthew 11:28-30
Beautiful picture, you look so happy! And beautiful story about you and Henry for talking through everything and letting our Father enfold you in his love and care! Miss you guys so much!
ReplyDelete