Tuesday, July 29, 2014

18 Weeks

So this post is just a tad bit late.  

This past weekend was a super busy one, but here's our update!


We had another prenatal appointment this week.  Everything is going well – babies are growing… a lot!  I’m 18 weeks along and their current home (aka my uterus) is measuring 23cm (i.e. 23 weeks along).  On average, twin pregnancies will measure ~3-6 weeks ahead of a singleton pregnancy.  That coupled with my 12 pound weight gain so far means we are right on track for healthy sized babies! 

At this last appointment, I had blood drawn to screen for the babies’ risks of having down syndrome and various other neural defects/abnormalities.  We should have the results back within a week.  I’m trying not to put too much weight on this test because all it will tell us is the probability of one or both of the babies having something.  To get a more definite answer, we’d have to have a diagnostic test done and those are too invasive/risky.  We’ll just wait patiently for our anatomy scan (level 2 ultrasound) appointment where the perinatologist will thoroughly check each baby to make sure they’re both growing healthy and strong.

And speaking of the anatomy scan, that’s when we’ll also finally get to find out the genders of these sweet little things!  Our appointment is scheduled for August 15th which feels like it’s forever far away, but I know the next couple weeks are going to fly by!

And now, our weekly update (as told by the twins)…

Sleep: Mom has struggled a bit with sleeping well this week mostly because we’ve been sitting on some of her nerves and making her legs ache a lot.  Sorry mom, it’s just so comfy there! 

Cravings: French fries!  I may or may not have even had garlic fries and a side salad for dinner the other night.  I’ve always been a lover of fries though – they’re just so delicious!

Symptoms: My back, butt, and legs have been sooo achy this week!  To the point where the only relief I get is when I’m laying down – standing and sitting have been quite the challenges this week.  Especially at work – I might get weird looks if people pass by and I’m laying on top of (or underneath!) my desk.

How we’re growing: We’ve put on a bit of weight this week – 2 ounces each!  That’s a lot for one week!  From head to bottom, we’re about 5.5” long and weigh 7 ounces, each!  Together we almost make one whole foot and one whole pound!  We’ve continued to move, a lot, and mom can feel us more often.

Best moment of the week: Oh where to start!  We heard the babies heartbeats again – Henry even got a recording this time!  (As soon as I figure out how to embed the audio file here, I will.)  We also found out that some good friends of ours are also expecting and we are just beside ourselves with excitement for them!  We’re sending lots of prayers their way and can’t wait to meet the little one!!

What Mom & Dad are looking forward to this coming week: Relaxing!  The past two weekends have been busy spending time with family both in Dallas and in El Paso.  We’re looking forward to relaxing (and catching up on laundry and house work! <- I know that’s not relaxing, but I’ll feel better once it’s all done.) this week before heading to Lubbock for Henry’s graduation ceremony in early August!

We spent this past weekend hanging out with Henry's extended family for the Vallejo Family Reunion.  It was tons of fun and I took so many pictures that it really warrants its own post.  But for now, I'll share our group family picture:


No comments:

Post a Comment