This past week, Henry took me to see Dr. Parnell for a headache that wouldn’t go away. It started last Thursday (I assumed because I slept propped up in bed and thus slept kind of wonky) and lasted through Monday despite my taking more naps and taking Tylenol. I called my doctor’s office on Monday and was told to come in first thing Tuesday morning. Side note: I had been checking my blood pressure all weekend just to make sure it wasn’t super elevated. It was measuring a little high (for me) but was still within the normal range, so I didn’t get super concerned. Henry thought it was a good idea to call and let my doctor know anyway though, just in case it was something else. Tuesday morning came, and we went to see Dr. Parnell at 8:00am. His nurse, DeeDee, checked my blood pressure and urine and everything came back normal/negative, which is really good! But there was still no explanation for the ongoing headaches. So Dr. Parnell checked my ears, throat, and pupils to make sure I wasn’t getting a cold or the flu – everything still looked normal. So his thought was that I’m just tired. With the surge in hormones that happens in the third trimester and my growing belly (and babies!), he said sometimes just plain fatigue can cause headaches. So he sent me home (home! not back to work) with a prescription for Tylenol #3 (acetaminophen and 30mg of codeine) for the headache and orders to rest at home and stay off of my feet. Yes, at 32 weeks, I got put on modified bed rest (which basically just means resting/staying off my feet as much as possible at home and not going into the office). But only for a week. At my next appointment (exactly one week later), Dr. Parnell will reevaluate the situation and alter the plans accordingly.
I was really hoping to make it all the way to the end without having to take any time off or being put on bed rest. I realize now that that was really wishful thinking. So I’m thankful for making it this far. A lot of twin/multiple moms get placed on bed rest around 28-30 weeks. So the fact that I’ve made it past that without any complications really is amazing. So from now on, I am going to accept whatever Dr. Parnell throws at me because I know it’s what’s best for the babies.
And now, our weekly update (as told by the girls)…
Sleep: Same as the last few weeks: I’ve been sleeping ok. Once I get into a comfortable position, I can sleep with no problems. It’s getting into those comfortable positions that are tricky. The weight of my belly puts my hips and back in funky positions which make them hurt, which in turn makes it hard to get comfortable. Not even the body pillow is working all that well anymore, boo. Again, this isn’t really something that bothers me while I’m sleeping; just when I'm trying to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. Overall I think I’m pretty lucky that I’m still able to sleep in my own bed though and don’t really experience heartburn or any other side effects while trying to sleep (other than my numb, swollen hands).
Cravings: I haven’t really had any cravings this week, except for Friday. My Aunt Rachel text to check up on me and asked if I needed or wanted anything. I told her if she happened to stumble upon a blue coconut slush from Sonic that I would gladly take it off of her hands. And a couple hours later, guess who showed up on my doorstep blue coconut slush in hand?! :D The babies said "Thank you Aunt Rachel!".
Symptoms: Since being on sort-of bed rest, I’ve noticed that the swelling in my hands and feet have gone down some, which is awesome! My headaches have gone away too – woop woop! I’ve also noticed, however, that the tightness in my belly has increased. I think it may be because I’m resting more, which means the girls have more energy than before, which means they’re moving and pushing out on my belly more often.
How we’re growing: A lot! Each one of us is just over 17 inches long and weighing a little over 4 pounds! These are just estimates – mom and dad will find out just how much we’ve grown at their appointment with Dr. Weiss this week. We’re continuing to fill out and we’re getting stronger and stronger every day. Mom says our kicks and movements are starting to get a little painful – sorry mom! We’re just starting to get a little too big for our current living situation. Can you talk to dad about getting us a bigger place? ;)
Best moment of the week: Finally getting our hospital bags packed – wooo! The girls’ going home outfits have been picked out for about a week, but the rest of our stuff (pj’s and changes of clothes for mom and dad, toiletries, etc.) had slowly been accumulating for the last week. We finally gathered it all and put it into a small suitcase for the big day.
What Mom & Dad are looking forward to this coming week: Our upcoming visits with both Dr. Weiss and Dr. Parnell. Dr. Weiss is going to do another growth scan, so we’ll get to see how much the girls have grown in the last month. He’ll also do a cervix check (ugh!) to see if anything is changing. Nothing has changed in that arena in the last three months – hopefully that’s still the case at this appointment. Our visits with Dr. Parnell are typically uneventful, although this visit he’s going to reevaluate my need for decreased activity/bed rest. I’m ok with the decreased activity so if that has to continue, I won’t complain too much. I’m just really hoping that he doesn’t put me on complete bed rest. Of course if it’s medically necessary for the benefit of the girls, I’ll do it. But as exciting as laying on the couch doing nothing may seem, it gets a little old after a while.
The dogs wanted in on the picture taking again. :)
Lills sticking her tongue out at me.
Annie waiting for a treat.
And this is what happens when your husband says something crazy
and then snaps a picture of you right after.
No comments:
Post a Comment