Sunday, June 15, 2014

12 Weeks



We’re officially in the homestretch of our first trimester!  The time from when we first found out that we were pregnant (~5 weeks) to now has flown by!

Since then, I've started to read up on multiples pregnancies and how they differ from singleton pregnancies (When You’re Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads: Proven Guidelines for a Healthy Multiple Pregnancy is a pretty awesome book).  I also started tracking my weight – gaining too little weight is not good for the babies and increases my chances of going into early labor.  While we’re eager to meet our sweet babies, we want them to cook as long as possible so they’re nice and healthy when they’re born.  Weight gain with any pregnancy is tricky, but with a twin pregnancy (where the risks of everything are a little higher), it seems like it’s even trickier.  I want to make sure the babies put on enough weight while they’re baking so they don’t have to spend any time in the NICU when they’re born; but, I also have to watch that I don’t gain so much weight that I develop gestational diabetes.  I've been tested before for diabetes, and my blood sugar levels came back on the high side of the normal range.  My general practitioner then didn't seem too worried about it, but my OB did ask me if I've been tested in the past at my first prenatal appointment.  That coupled with a twin pregnancy = higher chance of developing gestational diabetes if I’m not careful.  So far, I've only gained 5 pounds, which is right on track to the desired 45-50(!!) pounds.  My first goal is to get to 20 pounds gained by 24 weeks!

The other thing I've been doing some reading up on is cloth diapering!  I know, I know, it sounds hard, and messy, and so last century.  BUT!  The more I read about cloth diapers, the more I think I like them.  There’s so many different kinds, it’s absolutely amazing.  I’ll spare you the 411 on why cloth diapers are good for the environment and for your baby’s bottom and get straight to the money talk – diapers are expensive!  The average name brand diaper costs about 25₵ per diaper.  A big ol’ box of them (~160 count) runs about $40.  That big ol’ box will likely last a mom of two about a week (word on the street is babies poo, a lot), maybe a week plus a few days.  That’s roughly $120-$160 in diapers a month… for the next 2-3 years!  That’s like over $5,500 IN DIAPERS Y’ALL!!  OR!  We could invest in some good quality reusable diapers for probably less than half that amount and be all set (diapers wise)!  Ok, so would spending $40/week on diapers lead to us going hungry and living on the streets?  Thankfully, no.  Cloth diapering just seems like a really neat experience, and if I can help the environment, protect my babies from chemicals, and save a little extra cash in the process, then my thought is why not give it a try!  I’d like to note that Henry is very much so open to cloth diapering and I am so thankful for that.  The general consensus is that guys find the whole concept difficult and would prefer to take the “easier” route.  Not my guy though – he finds it just as fascinating as I do and is really enthusiastic about giving it a try.  His enthusiasm for saving money may be what’s driving his interest, but hey, I’ll take it, haha!

And now, our weekly update (as told by the twins)…

Sleep: Mom has been sleeping great this week (except for when she wakes up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom – sorry mom!)!  She’s finally been able to get to sleep without fidgeting around.  We think dad reading us bedtime stories every night has helped calm us and mom.

Cravings: Cucumbers!!  Mom likes them sliced with lime juice and salt.  She's also taken a liking to ice water with cucumber slices and fresh squeezed lime juice – it’s so refreshing!

Symptoms: Mom's back, hips, and legs have been extra achy this week.  Hopefully at her next doctor's appointment, she'll get cleared to finally start the prenatal yoga classes offered at the hospital.  That should help with her aches and pains.

How we’re growing: This week, we’ll begin opening and closing our hands, curling our toes, clenching our eyelids shut, and making sucking movements with our mouths – that’s a lot of reflexes!  In fact, if mom pokes her belly, we’ll squirm around in response, but she won’t be able to feel us move just yet.  We've each grown about a half an inch from last week – making us just over 2” long each (crown to rump)!  And we weigh about a half an ounce each.  All of our vital organs are completely formed and are beginning to function on their own now, though they’ll continue to develop/mature as we continue to grow!

Best moment of the week: Getting to see Grammy, Uncle Marcos, and Uncle Julian!  And all the rest of the family at the “Congratulations” Party for Paul, Reyshel, and Baby Paul.

What Mom & Dad are looking forward to this coming week: Finishing up our first trimester (woohoo, we’re almost a third of the way there!)!  We’re also very much looking forward to our next doctor’s appointment this coming Wednesday where we’ll hopefully get to see our babies again and hear their heartbeats for the first time!

P.S. I’d like to say a big “Thank You!” to my cousin Erica for giving me a crash course on cloth diapering via text messages over the last week.  She has successfully cloth diapered her cute little one from the time he was 6 weeks old and has nothing but awesome things to say about it.  To be honest, I was a little intimidated by the thought of cloth diapers, but after talking to her, I feel like it’s something we could really be successful at too!  Thanks Erica!  Say “Hi” to baby Evan for us!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment