The day of the appointment, I went to work as usual in the
morning. Then Henry swung by my office
at 11:30am to pick me up, and we were on our way to our first appointment! It was pretty routine (I assume – I had never
been to a prenatal checkup before). The
nurse, Dede, took my height, weight, and blood pressure, and collected a urine
sample to check for ketones. Everything
checked out. We talked a little bit
about family history, prenatal vitamins, which OTC meds were safe to take
during pregnancy, and foods/drinks to avoid.
After all of this, I saw Dr. Parnell. He did a pelvic exam to make sure my uterus
was the correct size for how far along I was – 8 weeks. Then we moved into the ultrasound room – we were
about to see our baby for the very first time!!
Dr. Parnell located our teeny tiny little baby – only the
size of a kidney bean at that point – and positioned the image so we could see
a healthy beating heart!(!!!) The doctor
continued to look around to make sure everything looked good. Then, he said “Uh oh… uh oh…”. My heart started to race a little – I thought
he found something not-so-good. He
turned to Dede and said “Do you see what I see?” At this point, I couldn’t hold it in, and I said
“What!?” Dede turned from the screen to
Dr. Parnell and said “I sure do!” Then
Dr. Parnell said… “There’s TWO heartbeats!
You’re having TWINS!!”
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!
I looked up at Henry, both of us with that same goofy smile
on our faces (from the day we found out we were pregnant) and tears in our
eyes. There were TWO teeny tiny little
kidney beans in there!!
The doctor continued to look around, making sure BOTH babies
were nice and healthy and growing at the same rate. We got to see both of them hanging out, one
in front of the other (which is why it only looked like one baby at
first). Dr. Parnell pushed them around a
little bit so we were able to see both of their little heartbeats, side by
side. It was all absolutely amazing.
We both left the doctor’s office with an overwhelming sense
of ohmygosh, did that really just happen?! I kept staring at the print out of the
sonogram – I’d look at the two little babies and then my name printed at the
top, to verify that it was indeed MY sonogram.
We called my mother-in-law first and gave her the news. She was at work and could hardly contain
herself. Then we called my mom. I had to make sure she was parked before
giving her the big news. Good thing I
did too because I think she might have momentarily passed out. We heard crying and rejoicing and then
silence. We continued to call/text/email
the rest of our immediate family – all in the very short drive from the doctor’s
office back to my work! Everybody was
incredibly shocked but very very
happy!
God has blessed us with not just one, but TWO of His
precious little angels. Words cannot
express how thankful we are and how blessed we feel for these two beautiful gifts. We knew He had a plan for us as parents, and
are so glad we let Him take control because the blessings have been abundant!

Grammy's little TWINKIES . . .
ReplyDelete